The cooler months provide great opportunities to ride and camp with fewer people wanting to venture out as the mercury drops. It also lends itself to hearty soups which are quick, filling meals that can be matched with almost any ingredient you want to pack or that you can find along the way before setting up camp.
½ cup of rice
300 g chicken thigh, cut into 1 cm dice
1 packet of dried butter chicken spice blend
1 onion, peeled, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely diced
¼ head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
200 ml of long-lasting cream
1-2 cups of water
1 large zucchini, finely diced
- Cook the rice, keep covered and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or saucepan with a small amount of oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, onion and carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes or until starting to soften. Add the spice blend and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower, cream and 1 cup of water to the pot and mix. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the zucchini to the soup, cook for another 5 minutes before adding the rice. Adjust the consistency with the rest of the water if necessary. Bring to a boil, remove from heat.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, divide between bowls and serve.
For 3-4 people
- Butter Chicken Spice Blends can be found in the seasoning aisle of the supermarket or at a local Indian / Asian supermarket.
- Rice adds bulk to the soup to make it more filling, it can be left out for a lighter meal.
- Cooked roast chicken can be shredded and added in the last 5 minutes of cooking instead of using raw chicken if you prefer.
- Any Indian style curry base will work to create this style of soup
- Chicken can be omitted for a vegetarian meal
- The cream can be replaced with coconut cream or milk
- Include all the vegetables you have available; mushrooms, beans, peas, broccoli, etc.